Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The soft humming of static on tape traces invisible stories in the air.

I've been working on some new designs for mock-up cushions. I've only had a chance to print out one design so far, the others are works in progress at this stage. The new designs are largely inspired by love, pizza and broken records. My drawing skills have improved a little, greatly assisted by my recently improved hand to eye co-ordination, of which I have yoga to thank.

The other day, I was walking home from work and I tripped but did not fall (as I normally would have, if it had been pre-yoga me) . I was so proud of myself from having gracefully recovered from what could have been a disastrous meeting with the pavement and my face. My happiness was somewhat dampened by the smirk of the suit who was walking near me.

Anyway, back to mix-tapes and made-up lyrics. My love of mix-tapes during my early 20's was nurtured by my friends, Catherine and Dave. Our passion and love of music bonded us together, through years of friendship, laughter and everything else that was going on in our lives at that time. We would routinely give each other mix-tapes, with varying degrees of success. I remember Dave's pain and anguish at hearing me complain (many times) about the placement of Mclusky on one of the mix-tapes that he made me. Sorry, Dave.

The mix-tapes were just a way of cataloguing our experiences and sharing it with each other. Nostalgia made me want to re-capture the spirit of those times, the youthful exuberance, bento boxes, random mayhem and photo booth memories. So, here is my ode to friendship...


No comments: