Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cardboard Fever

I never realised how beautiful the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton was until this weekend. It was the venue of choice for the Design Made Trade exhibition and was converted over the 4 days into a cardboard maze that contained lots of cool furniture, sculpture, bags, jewellery etc by some of Melbourne's leading designers.

I didn't realise how cold it would be in the building, despite layering up I could still barely move my arms and had to stand under the globe lights to keep warm. If only I had brought a portable heater or 'borrowed' one from the stand a few doors down.

Sunday was a lot nicer if only because the KEEC stand was close to the heaters. I had purposely left my wallet, along with the credit card at home so that I wouldn't be tempted to go on a shopping spree which despite my best efforts didn't work out as I still went shopping, kindly assisted with a loan from Ben.

There were a few people who wandered up that had come from the Design Market down at the carpark at Fed Square. One guy said that there were too many people at the Design Market, he had to jostle to get through the wall of people. I laughed when he compared it to being at a really seedy nightclub.

There were quite a few people from interstate and overseas who came specially for Design Made Trade which was very encouraging, especially when they raved about how great Melbourne design was. I tried to send as many people as I could over to North Melbourne for the Projekta 57 exhibition which hopefully will get a few more people attending.

No comments: